52 Pounds in 52 Weeks: My Journey to a Healthy New Me – Goals
It’s good to have a road map and directions when you’re traveling a new road – or at least a GPS. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a GPS for your diet? It would keep you on track, tell you when to make a u-turn, when you’re going the wrong way, healthy restaurants nearby, where to find your gym. That would be great! I don’t have a GPS for my diet, but I have goals! I have lots of goals. Here they are:
- Log my food & exercise. I will use My Fitness Pal to log my activity and food daily. Right now I’m not sure how many calories I am consuming or should be consuming, so I don’t have a specific calorie goal, but the important thing is that I record it.
- Follow my E-mealz Portion Controlled plan. Every week, E-mealz posts great menus with the shopping list! It really is EASY. I just print the menu, buy the groceries and follow the easy recipes. Our family subscribes to the Portion Controlled plan for Walmart. I don’t follow Weight Watchers, but the Portion Controlled menu gives the Points for each part of the meal, a real plus for those that do follow WW. And did I mention it’s only $5 a month?
- Eliminate my addiction to sugar. I love sugar. It’s one of my nicknames. My hubby says I’m made from it. Maybe that’s a sign I eat too much of it. I add sugar to my cereal in the morning. I’ve tried Sweet N’ Low and Splenda, but it’s just not the same. But NO more, I’m cutting out the sugar from my cereal. It’s just not an option for me any longer. (I actually have an idea for a whole new breakfast routine, but I’m posting that later.) For one month I am going to eliminate added sugar from my diet. Natural sugars in fruits or foods are fine – but no candy, cookies, cakes, jelly, syrup, etc. I will start this in February – it will be like observing Lent early.
- Exercise 5 days a week. I need to exercise to make my weight loss goals happen, so this is a no-brainer. For the next two months I am going to follow the Couch to 5K plan. It’s a three day a week plan, so the other two days I’m going to focus on weights with a brisk walk or bike ride.
- Participate in a 5K. I actually have two of them in mind. One is the first weekend in May during my town’s local spring festival. The other is The Color Run in June. Right now, my goal is to finish. A loftier goal is to run more than walk.
- Get a smartphone or iPod touch. I used to think of these as luxuries, but there are so many apps out there that I can use to track food, exercise, heartrate. Plus there’s the bonus of using the music player to keep me moving quick during exercise that I no longer feel like it’s a luxury, but a necessity. Besides, there is always a good sale to find, so this ought to be an easy goal to accomplish!
- Get more sleep. I am so tired in the afternoons at work and some days I feel like I could take a nap on the way home. Then I get some weird burst of energy around 9:00 p.m. and end up watching the news and the re-runs of sitcoms afterwards and before I know it, it’s midnight! When I need to get up by 5:00 a.m. to exercise, that’s not nearly enough sleep. So my new bedtime is 10:00 p.m. sharp.
- Blog on my progress of my goals and post my weight. I will do this weekly. Once a month I will take my measurements. I plan to create another area of my blog where I can record my stats. So if my friends don’t care to know my bust size, they aren’t forced to read it! 🙂 It’s more for my benefit to see it summarized in one spot and maybe with progressive pictures as well. Tomorrow I will post my stats for the first time – no more hiding, I’m gonna let it all out (hope this leads to more accountability and motivation)!
- Lose 52 Pounds in 52 Weeks. This of course is my ultimate goal!!! One pound a week sounds completely doable! And if I accomplish my other goals, this one seems sure to follow.
Hoping all these goals add up to a great road map on my journey! What are your goals for the year?